claassen.net was converted from static html and a wordpress site behind nginx on an EC2 instance to a static site
mkdocs hosted on S3.
For the last ~10 years, I hosted everything on a single EC2 instance behind an ElasticIP. A couple of wordpress sites, some static sites, a couple of node apps, all through
nginx. Deploy was
git checkouts and some shell scripting. After having my server taken over once because of a wordpress vulnerability, I now ran all my wordpress with read-only files, so that felt decent. Just had to make them read/write for version and plugin updates. Mind you all this is very low traffic hobby sites.
But I really wanted to get to immutable deploys. Run these sites as separate docker containers I could more easily test locally and deploy was a replace. I converted one WP site to docker and figured out how to run it with ECS. Then last month I set out to decommission the EC2 and convert everything left.
My WP deploys were using the default WP container as a base, but
claassen.net was structured with the blog as a
sub-directory and a bunch of static site elsewhere. I considered reconfiguring the container to serve the existing
hierarchy through its
nginx, but in the 10 years of not posting, my tastes for authoring had moved distinctly from WYSIWYG to
markdown and if I was going to get back to blogging, I wanted to go static. I briefly
considered jekyll, but had been using MkDocs at
work and really liked it, plus I am far more fluent in
ruby. Some brief googling later, I
found Material for MkDocs which comes out of the box with blogging
support and with LoneKorean's WordPress Export to Markdown
I was well on my way.